Friday, July 24, 2015

VALUES EVERY TEACHER MUST POSSESS

VALUES EVERY TEACHER MUST POSSESS
By: LORENZA TONGNAWA


The most important element in the learning environment is invisible. It is made up of the values, attitudes, and actions that we and our classes take part in every day. (http://www.unicef.org/teachers/environment/essence.htm)
I share the same hindsight with that of the UNICEF. The real things that matters are our values. And as a teacher, I am quite aware of the big role that I play in my students’ lives, especially in their values formation. 
As a teacher, I am always, on my guard because I know that in the classroom there are fifty pairs of eyes that scrutinize my every move. And I have to be cautious ‘less I want my flaws mirrored by my students. This is by far the biggest challenge to every teacher.  
The Civil Service Commission has been feverish in its campaign to rally government employees into becoming effective public servants who uphold the highest standards of morals. Every government employee is then governed by the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees.  Public teachers are part of this. 
In addition to the Code of Conduct, I also have in my list at least six values that I think are equally important and must be possessed by every teacher.
First is the value of accountability. Accountability not only to my profession but more so, accountability to the clients I serve- my students. Being accountable to my pupils entails a lot of prudence and patience. Teachers have the responsibility to exercise special parental authority and responsibility over the child, while under their care. And so, teachers are burdened with the duty to exercise due diligence in ensuring the safety of every pupil placed under their care.
Accountability would also pertain to my words and actions. I own every word I utter and actions I do. And I bear the consequences for such.
Second is the value of simplicity. Simplicity in the sense that I will not spend beyond my means. I shall not be a show- off. And I will strive hard to live a modest life. Materialism only leads to corruption. But with simplicity and modesty, there shall be no pains in the head. 
Third and fourth are the values of fairness and equality. With the fifty pupils I handle, I strive hard to be fair and square to everyone. I do not play favorites. No discriminations. Every student in the classroom must have his share on the plate. There should be no exclusion.
Last are the values of nationalism and patriotism. As a teacher, I really believe that these two virtues must be stressed upon our pupils. We need to constantly remind our students of their responsibility to give back to their country, to be a contribution to the society and not a liability.

Being a teacher is no easy job. It is not true that a teacher merely makes a living through his/ her saliva. A teacher is a molder of one’s future. And a teacher is a model to be emulated by his disciples. A teacher is not successful if he/ does not multiply. And what better way to do this than to let students embody our own principles and live- out the virtues we possess by setting a good example to them. After all, it is our values that would be left in the hearts of our students when all our other teachings are forgotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment