Friday, July 24, 2015

WHY TEACHING IN THE EARLY GRADES IS FULFILLING

why TEACHING IN THE EARLY GRADES IS FULFILLING
By: elena p. fernandez
Student graphics 
Thirty years ago, I ventured on a profession which I never really imagined to be a worthwhile one. All the while, I was in for the dough. I toiled for years thinking my job keeps me and my family alive. Until just recently when I began having grandchildren, I learn to really value and see the beauty in teaching early grades.

Teaching in the first- grade is no easy task. One would normally experience the spitting, the crying- spell, hair- tugging, chewing on pencils, thumping and jumping of cute little boys and girls. There are times of playing around, a time of fighting and then of course of real learning. You see, first graders have not yet really outgrown their kindergarten tantrums. Some would still come to school behind their mother’s skirts. Some would even pee or soil their uniform.

But then of course, first graders are a little bit mature. They come to school brimming with tons of energy. They are enthusiastic to learn and share their interests. They are also competitive. And at my age now, they would run me down. They would really drain my energy. In spite all these, I find it fulfilling to handle first graders.



As a first grade teacher, I am challenged to keep myself fit. Well, I have to be healthy so I could run after a child who would want to escape from class. I have to be fit to be able to carry a child back to his/ her seat.  I have to be quick to come to an aid if ever a child falls down on his/ her chair. I have to be on guard ‘less I want chaos in the classroom.

A first grade teacher must be quick to his/ her wits too, to entertain the intelligent questions of curious little boys and girls. And so, I keep abreast with what is new. Because as first grade teacher, I am aware of the fact that I should not run out of information, creativity and ideas. I load myself with fairy tales and fables. I invent stories and animate it to them to sustain their attention. I make colorful visual aids to rouse their interest. I play with them. At times, I scold them too to keep them from misbehaving. I mother them. I teach them.

Again, it is a fulfilling job for me because it is what keeps me young at heart. I am already fifty- four yet I do not have any grey hairs yet. It is because I am always with the young ones. Their energy recharges me. Their enthusiasm rekindles the youthfulness in my heart. Their unending questions keep me alert to my toes. There is no room for growing old if you are with the young ones. I could tell you, you would really be amazed at how you would marvel at the beauty of innocence and reverence. Innocence for their lack of knowledge. Reverence they shower upon you for your part as their teacher. They would respect you. They would love you. They would really appreciate your worth as a person.

So whenever somebody asks me why I stay in the First grade, I tell him/ her, “I stay because I feel more alive in the first grade.”




No comments:

Post a Comment