Thursday, April 24, 2014

An Artist in the Making


This is Jojie Pacio, the artist I have come to know from class.

Jojie was one of the talented students I have had the chance to mentor. I discovered his hidden talent when one time I gave out a project in class where students would have to illustrate, through a modified stained glass, a representation of true freedom.

I showed the class a simple model of the modified stained glass which I have made from cut illustration board and coloured plastic or yema wrappers. It was a picture of a flower. I have explained why to me the flower symbolizes freedom. Then, I told them to use the same medium of art for their representation.

When I have collected their finished work after a week, a beautiful picture of the Crucified Christ was a stand- out among the piles. It was from Jojie.

At first, I was dubious as to whether he really did the project. But I know Jojie as an honest person. And so, I have commissioned him to make another project to be used as a backdrop for the First Friday masses held at school. He complied. And came up with this.



 
 
 


Jojie explains, these intricate designs of the Nativity, the Resurrection and the Crucified Christ depict the real essence of Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment