Sunday, April 27, 2014

MUSINGS OVER CHANGE


What do men dread beside a bad haircut?

 
It’s change.
 
For many of us, change is something we shirk away from because of the uncertainty that it carries with it. Change maybe the harbinger of hope. But it can also bring despair. With change, there is no security. With change, we face the unknown. With change, one faces a crucial decision—to hold on or let go of the comforts we are used to.
 
Change may come in different forms. For some, it maybe a different path to tread on. It maybe a new beginning. A new baby. Loss of a loved one. A different career. A business venture. Growing of a moustache. Removing a moustache. New learning. Unlearning. Greying hair. Dyed hair.
 
For me, there are just too many. I have gained weight since my pregnancy and delivery of my baby. I have stretch marks. I have freckles. I have hair- loss. They say, these are all brought by my pregnancy and delivery. Before, I was never vain. I used to be happy with my looks. But now, the bodily changes are just so appalling. I see a different person when I look at the mirror. I say to myself, “Oh, no. This can’t be.” But yes, it is. Changes are happening. The mirror does not lie. My figure does not. My body cannot. These physical changes are not welcome at all. They are dreadful. But they are inevitable.
 
We cannot go through life without having to pass series of changes. There are beautiful changes. There are also ugly ones. Bad or good, beautiful or ugly, change moulds us.
 
So, what do I do then? How do I deal with change?
I found out that the best thing to do is not to resist it. Accept it gracefully and gratefully. I cannot do anything with the permanent changes in my body. The scars, the stretch marks, the freckles...They will stay no matter what I do. But I am happy with them because they remind me of the beautiful gift I have received from God, my baby.
Acceptance with grace and gratitude. Be happy with the changes. Thank God for them for changes are opportunities to make ourselves better and become wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment