Thursday, April 24, 2014

Meet Mia




For others, “Small but terrible” might be a phrase used to describe her. But I say “small and sweet” to this little girl. I know teachers should not have favourites but Mia holds a special place in my heart for various reasons.

 

I met Mia in her First Year at High School. During the first day of classes, she already caught my attention. She is quick to raise her hand and respond to my queries with her witty answers and her profound opinion. I am always mesmerized by her good command of the Filipino language.  She uses Filipino terminologies that are considered archaic, terms not usually used by a 21st century Filipino student. Terms like “nahihinuha,” “nakikinikinita,” “nagpatianod,”and many more.

I said I adore this little girl for various reasons. She stays at the guidance office and helps in the cleaning of the office and in other menial tasks. She is no ordinary girl. Instead of playing with her friends during her vacant time, she chooses to stay at the guidance office to help. And even if she does not have any errands to do, she still stays there and mingles with other students or with some faculty members. She asks a lot of questions. In fact, she never runs out of them.

She readily offers help. She is dependable. She is smart. She is courteous. She is hard-working. She takes initiative. And she is serious even at her young age. These are just some of the good qualities, she possesses.

She dreams on becoming a teacher then eventually a lawyer.  May poverty not hinder her in achieving her dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment